Tuesday, July 19, 2011

CSA Harvest! And, simultaneous garlic harvest

1/2 lb. salad greens
1/2 lb. squash
1/2 lb. broccoli
1/2 lb. snap peas
1 bunch kale
1 bunch chives
1 onion

Today's theme seemed to be "things in quantities of half a pound" and "alliums."  I pulled a few of my spring-planted Copra onions for today's share.  While this variety is technically a storage onion, the fact that it has been sending up scapes makes me doubt it's long-term storage capacities.  So enjoy the fresh onion this week!  Pungent but not too spicy, it can be sliced raw into cole slaw or slowly cooked as a base for sauteed kale or broccoli.

My CSA harvest also coincided with the rest of my garlic harvest, which I started yesterday afternoon.  These days of long rain mean I needed to take advantage of dry weather while it was around - it is preferable to pull garlic when it has "dried down."  Thankfully the farmhands, Sara Joy and Owen, were able to pull, bundle, and hang the last six beds of garlic while I harvested for CSA customers.  I am deeply grateful for their help.

A sunny afternoon also meant I was able to mow; the grass just hasn't stopped growing.  Tomatoes look strong and healthy, and also still hard and green.  Sometimes I fear they will never ripen, but maintain their teasing presence in the greenhouse.  I know I just need to be patient.  Snap peas, however, continue to grow up and above my head; the zucchini and summer squash are starting to take off; raspberries set ripe fruit on the canes.  I can wait for tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment